Friday, October 2, 2009

Thoughts from the Scholars Wing: Noticias in the Blogosphere

Hello! My name is Andrea Schoeny and I am the Uber-Editor of Noticias, the weekly newsletter of the Scholars Wing, the Honors residence in Hokona Hall. I have been asked to share snippits of our newsletter with you, and am happy to do so. I'll try to post as often as I can. Enjoy!


Goodbye to the Fireflies by Ioan Belovarski
Birds call onward in the evening sky –
Their flutter of wings, a faintest goodbye –
As blue sky recedes to the natural black
And night embarks on its fated track

And all the while I look out dead –
There’s little left in my emptied head –
But I see the moon make its steady rise
Midst the quiet buzz of the fireflies

Thus one thought springs in my reverie –
It’s not something I would wish to see –
I simply cannot help but wonder at why
I choose to live and not just to die

When everything tells me there’s no more light –
The future’s not clear, but it’s also not bright –
Should I even bother to continue my stay
And fade as fireflies do in the day?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really hope to see this in Scribendi's 2010 issue! The opening lines are not just well constructed in a literary sense, but they also have a sort of visual "texture." Well done and thanks for sharing!

The Traveling Bat said...

Thank you for sharing this poem. I love reading what other poets have written, being an amateur writer myself. I am very impressed with the use of symmetry of rhyme and punctuation in this, which is something I sometimes try to capture but often fail to accomplish. It also has great imagery. Over all, it is a great selection to share with everyone, and I am glad to have had the chance to read it.